Explore Electricity - Stem Kit
Explore how circuits and electricity works through a craft based project followed by a science experiment using a conductivity probe!
Explore simple circuits by starting with a circuit craft project then migrating to a science experiment exploring conductivity using a conductivity probe.
- 1 Battery Holder with battery
- 1 LED
- Paper Clips and pipe cleaners
- 6” Copper Tape
- 3D Printed Conductivity Probe
Next Generation Science Standards that align with this project include:
- 2-PS1-1. Plan and conduct an investigation to describe and classify different kinds of materials by their observable properties.
- 2-PS1-2. Analyze data obtained from testing different materials to determine which materials have the properties that are best suited for an intended purpose.
- 4-PS3-2 Make observations to provide evidence that energy can be transferred from place to place by sound, light, heat, and electric currents.
- 4-PS3-4. Apply scientific ideas to design, test, and refine a device that converts energy from one form to another.
- 3-5-ETS1-2 Generate and compare multiple possible solutions to a problem based on how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- 3-5-ETS1-3. Plan and carry out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.
Skill Level: Beginner
Duration: 1-2 hours