Make: Illustrated Guide to Home Forensic Science Experiments - PDF
Have you ever wondered whether the forensic science you’ve seen on TV is anything like the real thing? There’s no better way to find out than to roll up your sleeves, release your inner Grissom and do it yourself!
This full-color book offers advice for setting up an inexpensive home lab, and includes more than 50 hands-on lab sessions that deal with forensic science experiments in biology, chemistry, and physics. You’ll learn the practical skills and fundamental knowledge needed to pursue forensics as a lifelong hobby—or even a career.
The forensic science procedures in this book are not merely educational, they’re the real deal. Each chapter includes one or more lab sessions devoted to a particular topic. You’ll find a complete list of equipment and chemicals you need for each session.
- Analyze soil, hair, and fibers
- Match glass and plastic specimens
- Develop latent fingerprints and reveal blood traces
- Conduct drug and toxicology tests
- Analyze gunshot and explosives residues
- Detect forgeries and fakes
- Analyze impressions, such as tool marks and footprints
- Match pollen and diatom samples
- Extract, isolate, and visualize DNA samples